Assist people to live their lives, not live people's lives for them.
Headway Gippsland relies on the efforts of many types of volunteers to support the organisation and its work in the ABI community.
As a volunteer, a team of professional, experienced staff will assist and guide you while you learn to support Headway participants. We match volunteers' skills to participant's needs through our social and recreational support programs and train you to encourage conversation, engagement and involvement in social and community living.
- orientation and ongoing education programs about acquired brain injury
- regular news about people with disabilities, plans and decisions
- professional support at all times
- opportunities for personal development
- reimbursement of any expenditure for and on behalf of Headway Gippsland Inc.
Skills volunteers need:
- being a good listener
- good communication skills
- offering support to participants and their families, carers and friends
- supporting the coordinator in finding solutions to participants needs
- participation in activities
- reliability, trustworthiness and punctuality.
Ways to volunteer
There are many ways to volunteer to help run Headway Gippsland’s administration:
- social or recreational support
- joining the Board of management, which meets monthly
- administrative assistance
- bus driving and transport.
For more information on how you can volunteer and make an invaluable contribution to Headway Gippsland please contact our office on (03) 5127 7166.