Great Break Respite
Wild And Wicked Weekends
Headway Gippsland's respite program is funded by the Department of Human Services to give family carers a break while we provide recreational activities for people with disabilities. The program schedules one day activity or one over-night activity per month with two staff and up to ten participants enjoying a variety of activities.
Most costs are covered by State and Federal Government funding. This allows financially disadvantaged families to join the program.
Who Can Participate?
Any person with a disability is welcome to join the outings depending on vacancies and Headway Gippsland's entry requirements. Priority is given on a needs basis including any eligible person who has not accessed the program before.
- nature walks and guided tours
- visits to floral and music festivals
- visits to museums and galleries
- train rides and river cruises
- craft shows and markets
- concerts, plays and movies
- adventure trips such as archery, canoeing, flying fox, bush walks, horse riding and kayaking
- restaurants and BBQs.
For more information and to book a Great Break, please contact the Headway Gippsland Office at:
Shop 2, 55 Lloyd Street,
Moe, VIC 3825
Phone: (03) 5127 7166
Toll Free: 1800 452 452
Positive Outcomes From The Great Break Program
- Strong friendships formed.
- Socially isolated and financially disadvantaged families able to access the program.
- Excellent group dynamics.
- High participation rates by consumers in activities and planning the program.
- Respite for family carers.
- Improved community acceptance of people with ABI and disabilities.
Supporting Older Carers-Direct
Supporting Older Carers-Direct provides flexible respite options for family carers aged over 60 years and caring for a child with an Acquired Brain Injury aged over 40 years in the carer's home.